Sunday 22 February 2015

How Shrove Tuesday 2015 Went Down

I nearly forgot about Shrove Tuesday this year. And when I did remember I found it hard to summon up the energy to actually make some.

I always remember pancake day as being a hugely social activity. We'd all be gathered in the kitchen, fighting over what we were going to put in our pancakes, I'd be begging to be allowed to try and flip one, then most likely crying when it didn't work.

Hanging out on your own, giving yourself a little cheer when you managed to toss the pancake in one swift, professional movement, just felt a little tragic.


But who was I kidding? I'm a pretty tragic individual anyway, why try and hide from it? Just embrace it and get on with it.

And I was absolutely gutted when my first pancake, you know, the one that always turns out horribly for some reason, was absolutely perfect and I had no fucker to share my triumph with. I did however take a picture for posterity so I could share it all with you guys almost a week later...

Then I remembered that of course I'm not alone. I'm never alone whilst I can walk into the lounge and see this little face looking at me...


Ser Jorah Mormont is no fool. He remembered last year when they got pancakes made for them on this special day.

Not really, they just appears whenever he smells food or hears the rustling of something that sounds like it might be a good packet. 

Like last year I decided to make both the boys a little tiny pancake each, garnished with half a slice of banana, a gerbil chocolate drop and a pumpkin seed. Last year these were whipped away and gobbled so furiously that I didn't get the chance to take a decent picture so this time I was prepared. I put them on a plate and held it outside the cage, meaning if they wanted a pancake they were going to have to come pretty far out, thus maximising the photographic opportunity.

Seriously. This is my life.


Sure enough Ser Jorah Mormont took the bait and came out to have a little investigation. Tyrion Lannister had unfortunately just taken a bit of museli out of the food bowl and was furiously trying to eat it as fast as possible so he didn't miss out. It's hard to eat quickly when you only have a little gerbil mouth though, I bet they wish they had pouches like hamsters.

What I hadn't counted on is the fact that after a year has gone by, the gerbils are cool as a cucumber when it comes to being around me. They're not frightened of being picked up and most importantly they know that if they stay still they are almost definitely going to be rewarded with food.

And so, rather than whip the pancake back into the gerbilarium to eat it, Ser Jorah Mormont just decided to hang out on the plate I had kindly provided.


LOOK AT HIS FACE.

Have you ever seen anything so ridiculously cute in your entire life?

Can you also see how even when you think you've given a gerbil a really small pancake, it actually turns out to be outrageously massive?*

Can you imagine how cute two gerbils eating pancakes are?





*After a minute or so and a lot of pictures I took the pancakes away as I really didn't think they should be eating so much. I know, I'm super mean.

8 comments:

  1. You won at Valentine's Day, you rocked Pancake Day - can't wait to see what you do with Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAAAH! I just died of cuteness. A gerbil eating a tiny pancake = too cute. TWO gerbils eating TWO tiny pancakes = you have killed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAaah, I cannot believe how cute they are!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh, this is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haaha, I love that they got to celebrate pancake day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word - too cute! I think they'll be begging you to make pancakes more often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god! The cuteness of the gerbils with the pancakes :) On pancake day I set fire to halloumi and our house smelt of it for days....

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOOK. Look at their faces! Seriously, they're amazing. Also, I completely forgot it was shrove Tuesday until AFTER the event, surely that means I'm a good deal more tragic?

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...