Monday 1 August 2011

July Flickr Favourites

July has been a funny old month. On the one hand it seems to have lasted forever and ever and ever, but on the other hand I'm left feeling a little stunned and surprised that it's August already.

Before you know it, people are going to start mentioning that C-word - I'm just putting out a warning. If you craft, you have to start thinking of the C-word from about now. Well you do if you're painfully slow at stuff like me.

But enough of that, let's pretend that December is still ages away and look back at my favourites from July.


2nd July - See this is what I mean, did this really take place only a month ago? It feels like a gazillion years ago. This was such a lovely day, it's not often I get to the sea and not often enough that I get to spend time with my sister, brother-in-law and nephews so this was a great big day of awesomeness. Plus I just really love this photograph, the sandy shoes with the sea in the background, it just sums up the day nicely.

6th July - I haven't really been able to tell you about this because it's a work-related thing and I want to try and keep as much anonymity as possible, but I am part of a mentoring scheme that has seen me paired up with a child from a local primary school. The rationale is that we are there to support these kids as they transition from primary to secondary school, they're from fairly vulnerable backgrounds so we're there as an extra bit of support. On 6th July some of us mentors accompanied the class on a trip to London. I was there when they were told they were going to London and I got pretty choked up seeing their excitement, for most of them this was the first time they'd ever been to London and it was a really big deal for them. This day was knackering, we walked about 10 miles in all, but the kids coped with it really well and loved it. Amazing experience.

12th July - I love that I work in the centre of town. This week was Graduation week and all the graduates from the University of Hull gather right in the middle of town before and after their ceremony in the City Hall. I was on my lunch break and happened across these guys and these are the times that I am so pleased that I constantly carry my camera around with me. I snapped this photo and luckily managed to get them as they threw their hats up in the air, I just love this photo. Also I wish I was student again.

17th July - You all know about this, today was the day that I ran the Race for Life and was very proud of myself.

27th July - Ha and this month I made a whole blanket! Admittedly only for a small person, although it would have made a nice little lap blanket for a bigger person. I felt very pleased with myself, I wouldn't have thought a couple of years ago that I would have been able to do this so it felt like a pretty big achievement. See the post about the finished Jungle Ripple blanket here.

31st July - And this was the day that I got to give the Jungle Ripple blanket to its recipient at a baby shower we held for my friend yesterday, I promise I will tell you about this in a post later this week. It was lovely although it didn't half feel weird having a baby shower for one of my best friends, when did I start growing up?!

------------------------

As always you can keep up with my progress by checking out my Flickr photoset.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I've already raised the C word. Not because I'm a crafter but because I like to buy things during the sales so that I don't end up spending a fortune in December. But yes, December is still far, far away. Honest it is.

    Looking forward to hearing about how the blanket was received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought 3 christmas presents. I plan in advance because I have limited funds!

    I hope to be in your September Flickr favourites - 1st will be super for me :)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos especially the sea one and the graduates. Don't mention the C word yet it'll come soon enough after the school holidays. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooo! Not the C word! I have three blankets to crochet by mid-November! I can't think about Christmas yet!

    The mentoring thing sounds brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how we got to August so quickly either...
    I'm so impressed with your ripple blanket - was everyone impressed? I do hope so.
    I did the Race For Life too, it's an amazing day isn't it? The atmosphere is electric, I hadn't been very well in the week running up to the race (no pun intended) so I couldn't run very much but I walked as fast as my little legs would carry me!
    The mentoring scheme sounds amazing, it takes someone really special to put themselves forward for something like that and it seems that is will be rewarding for both you and the child involved. It's a great thing you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a great month. I love your smiley post-run picture.

    The trip to London sounds great. We took our class on a trip to Tate Britain back in June. Most of the kids would have been happy just wandering around the city as, even though we only live a 20 minute journey away by Tube, I don't think they get the opportunity to ever see the sights with their parents. They were so wide eyed when they saw the Houses of Parliament, it was lovely to see. x

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...