Wednesday 1 May 2013

BEDM - The Beginning of a Bad Idea

"There's no way you could blog every single day for a month." Said the voice in my head. "You're barely making it in to double figures at the moment."

The voice is right of course. April saw me blog a grand total of 12 times. And that is the most I've blogged in a month since January 2012. I don't even think I can call myself a blogger with stats like that can I?

"What the hell would you even find to blog about every day?" said the voice "You don't even do anything. You live in your sister's box room in a town where you have no friends. Where on earth will you find your material?"

And I sat and I thought.

What is a blog? What makes one post 'good' and one post 'bad?

I know the posts that get the most comments aren't always the ones I'm most proud of. I've learned that people do not like book reviews and round-up posts interest nobody. And I definitely know that people enjoy a good Fred and Lily post.

But what if I wrote my blog as if it really was an online diary? What if I had to write in my diary every single night - what would I say and would it really be interesting?

Probably not, but it would be honest. It's easy to schedule posts to go up every other day or so, that make your life seem fabulous and wonderful (says she, who can barely manage about one post every four days and even then can manage to send people to sleep), but wouldn't it be comforting to know that someone-else is as much of a boring bastard as you are?

I like to think so. And so here I declare my mission - to make you feel better about your lives throughout the month of May.

You can thank me later.

6 comments:

  1. go for it! Back in 2011 I blogged pretty much every single day and it just became routine. Don't put pressure on yourself x

    ReplyDelete
  2. if in doubt just post a cat photo (that's my plan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes - I saw this on twitter last night and wasn't even tempted (and it's not like me to let a bandwagon pass me by!) - I struggle with two posts a week at the mo. Good luck with it, I look forward to reading every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am very much looking forward to reading all the BEDM posts. I totally can't face doing it myself but I really like daily posts from other people.

    ps - I find that people *do* like book reviews, they just don't seem to comment as much on them for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading what you write because you are hilarious and don't pretend to be perfect. The post about the cookie monster cupcakes with pinkeye made me snort with laughter at my desk at work, but for some reason I didn't leave a comment. I think it is easy to be hard on yourself and think that people don't love your writing when people read it and move on without commenting. Click on my name to see what a truly epic fail blog looks like and bask in the warm glow of your four posts a month.

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...