Wednesday 29 May 2013

Morning Ritual - BEDM Day 29

Oh yeah - hi BEDM topics. I kind of went a bit rogue for a week or so there didn't I?

I couldn't miss this one though, mainly because it'll be the easiest post I've ever written.

I don't do mornings. Mornings and I are not friends. I begrudgingly accept Morning's presence and the necessity for its existence but I have no particular desire to embrace it with open arms and sing about its wonder.

In fact I don't want to speak at all in the morning.

My younger nephew are alike in this respect. We get up at the same time each morning and not a word is said between us. At any other time of the day not being greeted when I walk into the kitchen wouldn't earn him any Brownie points whatsoever. In the morning I'm thankful that there is no need to deal with a chattering monkey in my face. We know the deal - this is morning and it is to be gotten through and we can do this silently.

Breakfast I guess is part of my morning routine. I don't understand how people can skip breakfast. Actually, my stomach doesn't understand how you can. It knows when I've woken up and it gets mad if I don't feed it quickly. If I go to work without breakfast, I'll get to 9am and feel very very ill and queasy. In fact, there have been days where I've woken up late and felt sick because my stomach is pissed that it hasn't been fed. Breakfast is a must although I'm not fussy about what happens. Cereal is my choice just because it's quick - I can't be doing with waiting for toast to pop or waiting for porridge in the microwave - bowl out, cereal in, milk on top, spoon - done. Let's just keep it simple in the mornings, yeah?

The only person I do deign to speak to in the morning isn't really a person at all. It's Rosie. Every morning when I come down the stairs she meets me at the bottom and leaps up at me to plant her front paws on my chest and be stroked. I actually like that I don't even have to bend down to greet her - she comes up to my level. Anything that is that happy is hard to ignore, although when I say "speak" to her, I don't really think it is classed as speech - I just make sounds - which is as good as you're going to get from me.

There is no grand getting ready routine. I put make-up on, although if I thought I could get away with it I wouldn't. And to be fair it's not really a heavy-handed make-up routine - slap some BB cream on, slap blusher on, bit of eyeliner on my bottom lids (can't be arsed to do the top), bit of mascara - boom, ready in 5 minutes.

I don't want to listen to a cheery tune to get my morning started. I don't need a cheery tune to get my morning started. My morning is started - I'm up aren't I? Must I be cheery and full of beans on top of it? Can't I just be?

Like a lizard, I warm up once I've had time to adjust to the morning and have basked in its presence for awhile. I'm at my most productive first thing in the morning when I don't want to talk to anyone and can keep my head down and get on with things. By 10.30am I'm ready for my first cup of tea and ready to converse - and productivity takes a nose-dive.

I would love to be a morning person but it's never going to happen, and whilst I think it's lovely that you are a morning person, I'm going to need you to keep your morning person-ness out of my face until break-time - kay?


6 comments:

  1. I am soooo gonna ring you for a happy chat tomorrow morning. TTB loooooooves mornings, I want to share that with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on the breakfast thing. In fact my stomach was growling at the very mention of food in your post. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've just described my family home in the mornings when I was at high school. It was the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super glad it's a rare occasion when Tom has to get up at the same time as me on a weekday. Mornings are about routine, roll out of bed, ingest fluid, make breakfast, eat, wash,check bag, leave. In that order, without speech, music, too much movement and preferably the most interaction is between me, my bike and a traffic light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally with you on the talking thing. I am NOT a morning person, and anyone who dares to talk, smile or be cheery in my presence feels my displeasure pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rubbish at getting out of bed in the mornings but once I'm up I'm pretty chirpy. I clean the kitchen and fix myself breakfast while listening to the radio. If I could just get better at the leaving bed I'd be a bona fide morning person!

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...